Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Book 1, Chapter 2

Chapter 2

                I entered the Library soaked to the bone and quietly crying.  My tears ran down and splashed onto the already soaked cover of the top book.    I sniffled quietly and walked into the library timidly.  I had heard what happened to students who mistreated the books.  The librarian would have my head for this.  Quiet, carefully controlled sobs shook my shoulders as I continued my march to the book return desk at the back of the lobby.  As I got closer, one of the students working the desk addressed me, “Hey, Endros. The book you asked for came in.  I’m surprised you’ve kept up with it, even if it’s written quickly.”  The student’s name was Antony and he was one of the closest things I could call a friend.
I sniffled and mumbled, “Thanks.  Pick it up later.” I had closed the distance to the desk and slid the stack of books onto the desk.  Antony’s eyes widened to the size of dinner plates as he glanced at the soaked books.
“Endros,” Antony hissed and leaned in close. “Do you know what the Librarian will do to you? You know I have to report this.”
“It wasn’t my fault,” I protested weakly.  My head drooped, long bangs covering my face.  “I…” I stumbled over the start of another sentence before being cut off.
“You know the rules, you’re responsible for the books you bring in.” Antony somehow managed to seem like he was yelling even in a whisper. 
“I… I know.” I whimpered, shaking my head.  “ I just,” I felt a whole new batch of tears well up in my eyes. “LEAVE ME ALONE!” I screamed at the poor man and then took off running deeper into the library.  I bolted through the library, dodging the other students and several full blown wizards.  I head deeper and deeper into the growing darkness, taking random turn after random turn until I was in a place that was almost pitch black.  My pace slowed and I caught my breath, glancing around for a landmark to get my bearings.  “Where in the pit am I? I’ve never been here before.” I continued to wander, following the wall lamps.  “How do I not know where I am? I practically live here.”   I paused and glanced around, spinning in a slow circle.  “Did I go down stairs?” I muttered to myself.  “Were there always stairs?”
I continued to wander around, at a complete loss for where I was until I stumbled into a well-lit study cell, the first bit of bright light I had found since getting lost. In it was a desk, a small cot and even a toilet.  “I can sleep here?” Even my own voice sounded weird after the oppressive quiet of the empty library. I sat down heavily on the bed and a cloud of dust whooshed into the air.  The dust sent me into a sneezing fit that took me a while to recover from.  I rubbed at my eyes and curled up on the bed, my head hurting from the crying and the dust.  “I can sleep here.” I yawned, suddenly unable to resist the pull of sleep, nodding off.
I woke up several hours later, the light suddenly harsh on my eyes and fraying my nerves.  I sneezed again and sat up.  Yawning, I extended my arms and legs, only to be greeted by a series of pops and clicks from my joints.  The pervasive, oppressive silence of the library came rushing back in and I poked my head out of the cubicle, glancing around.  The only evidence of passage was the footprints I had left in the dust on my way through.   I had to go find Wizard Eb and, I cringed internally, apologize for the books. I also hoped that he would let me help with reordering the books in the library.  If he didn’t, I’d never be allowed back to help Iustyn. I took a deep breath and stomped off into the library.  “Well,” I said to myself, “I have to do this.  It’s important, so stop being a girl about it.”  
After several more hours of getting, what I could only assume was, more lost, I stumbled on to a heavy oak door with a sign that said “Go Away!” deep in the bowels of the library.  I blinked in confusion at the door and knocked on the door. “Uhm… Hello?” I raised my voice, a timid crack to it.
The door was ripped open and I was left staring down at a short, burly, balding man with a close cropped white beard.  “Are you an idiot?” The man looked up his nose at me, a heavy scowl on his face.
“N. No” I stammered and took a nervous step back.
“You are unable to read then?” He jutted his chin out, crossing his arms over his wide chest.
I blinked owlishly at him, my mouth slowly opening wider and wider. “No?” I stared at him confused, noticing for the first time that he was wearing the blood red robes of a full wizard of the Acadamae. I gulped, “Wizard… Sir.”
He raised an eyebrow, “Are you unsure of your ability to read?”
I shook my head to indicate the negative.
“Then what did you not understand about the sign?” He pointed at it, underlining the words with a finger.  “It says quite simply ‘Go Away’.  So do that now, before I get annoyed, little one.” He stepped over and poked me in the chest, forcing me to take a step back before he whirled on his heel and slammed the door in my face.
I stood rooted in place, utterly confused by the events that had just happened.  “Well, that was weird.” I muttered under my breath.  I stepped forward and moved to knock on the door again.
“You knock on that door again, boy, and I will hurt you.” The old man’s voice carried through the door. 
“I just need some help.” I raised my voice through the door. “I’m lost and” I swallowed, “I have no idea where in the library I am.  I’ve been here for hours and I can’t find my way out or find who I’m looking for.”
“Looking for your master, boy?” The old man’s voice carried through the door and still managed to contain so much scorn in the word master that I was sure that I could use it as a gravy to baste a turkey.

“No, Sir.” I answered back, slowly steeling myself to talk with the man. “I was sent to help Wizard Eb with his new rearranging project.” With that the door was ripped open and the man was standing there, somehow managing to scowl even deeper than before. 

No comments:

Post a Comment